Saturday, November 14, 2009

Contaminated

I can't believe I just got sick.

Okay. Fine. It's not like I'm some germ-free freak that doesn't get the case of the colds every so often. I get the whole sore throat package ALL THE TIME. Back in high school and elementary, I was known for my awesomely runny nose that was around all school year round. It's slightly disgusting but it was a distinguishing characteristic all right. I'd like to think that it was my version of the cute puppy with the wet nose. LOL

So what's the deal this time?

It's how I got it that's bothering me. So, here it is. I've been trying something new this week -- sleeping early. Like before 12mn. But grad school started this week too, so naturally, my professor gave us our first paper (on Tuesday) that we were supposed to discuss that Thursday. Wow. Talk about getting right down to business. Since this is grad school, I actually have to bust my bum twice, no, thrice as hard! So I actually read the paper and looked for other journal articles that Tuesday night. Met with groupmates the next day and decided on three related papers to report on since we were assigned the related lit (RRL) portion. So that Wednesday night, I was re-reading the main paper and tried reading some of the other papers we chose. I started yawning since I was slighty accustomed to my 10pm sleepy time. Naturally, sleep deprivation causes the brain not to function up to par, which caused my failure to comprehend the simplest of paragraphs. I had to go through them 10 times before I could get a hint. Other times, I just gave up and went on to read the next incomprehensible paragraph. By 2:30am, I just couldn't take it. Set my cellphone's alarm for 4am, but slumber was a dear friend whose company I could not reisist. My mom woke me up at 5 to go take shower and get ready to leave for school, so since I didn't get much work done, and only got through 1 of 3 articles, I had to bring my mac with me. Oh, this was also when the havoc started. I met the morning sun with an odd feeling in my throat and a few a-choos. Haven't had that in a while. Went on to bath etc etc. Fast forward to Friday morning. I woke up this time with a utterly familiar and oh-so dreadful symptoms of the disease. Leaky nose, sneezes every 20 seconds, and loud rough coughs that made others on the MRT start to cringe. Every gulp and swallow was making my throat bleed. Food was the enemy. I dared not even work with the cells in the lab, fearing that I might start another holocaust or cascade of various types of contamination. It just got worse.

This morning I woke up with a nonfunctional voice box. Not even a squeek. I guess my brother appreciated the silence and my inability to bicker. Finished more than a roll of tissue today.

Anyway, I blame sleeping early for my disease. I used to stay up til 4am and not feel the least bit sick, but NOOOOOOO my body clock suddenly underwent a series of events that led to my dependency on 6 hours of sleep. Now, I'm torn. Do I continue trying to sleep early or should I just go back to my old insomiac routine?

Oh, Blogger, if only you could talk... I mean, it's not that I would listen. LOL. nevermind. LABO.

3 comments:

  1. so if i try to sleep at a decent hour, i get punished. and if i sleep late, it's all good? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's apparent that when your sleeping pattern changes, your body would feel weird. Usual effect would be that you'd get to sleep less. But in certain cases, person would get sick. Certain bodies react differently to changes. But once your body gets the hang of the new sleeping pattern, you'd be fine. However, if you keep on changing your sleeping pattern, you'd be in a pinch. lol

    ReplyDelete