Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Barfing albumin

Extremely weird experience last Sunday (Nov 29).

WARNING: Do not read if you can't handle slightly repulsive descriptions of bodily fluids and illness-related events.

I was coughing non-stop and was on the verge of vomiting with each cough, so I had to keep running to the bathroom. Ugh... I tried my best not to cough in church, but, alas, it was hopeless. 45 minutes into the service, the sticky feeling in the pit of my throat just wouldn't go away, so I had to go visit the sacred room and barf away.

Once I got home, still sticky and coughing. My eyes were tearing up due to the increasing intensity of coughs, but what else could I do? Refuse to cough? LOL Anyway, around 7pm, the coughing was abnormally frequent and painful and icky. I felt a sudden surge of fluid run up my esophagus, so I started running to the bathroom, trying hard to hold it in, but, sadly, it became one of my most embarrassing moments that thankfully no one got to see. Five steps away from the basin, I spew out this weird clear sticky substance that can be best descibed as egg white-like. I tried to hold it in my hands, but some of it fell on the floor. The rest of it came out in the basin. When I was cleaning up the mess I caused, I noticed the viscosity of the susbtance I had just expeled. It was beyond the typical phlegm. It was clear, held some sort a shape, just like albumin from freshly laid eggs. The watery counterpart fell in the basin.

It just baffled me. I wanted to take a sample for analysis, but even I thought that would just be way too bizzarre. Might have been partially due to the "saluyot" I ate for lunch. (Boiling saluyot results in a liquid with a texture similar to that produced by okra)

After the incident, my throat felt relieved. All the sticky feeling was gone. I was left with dry cough.

That incident will forever have a special place in my memories though. Barfing albumin.

No comments:

Post a Comment